Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Some baseball cards

My reintroduction to baseball cards came probably within six months of a bunch of our older cards being given to the Salvation Army. Had I realized this nostalgia-ridden quasi-mid-life crisis (hey, it's cheaper than a car and I wouldn't fathom cheating on my wife) would hit I never would have assented to their being disposed! But, it is too late. Not all of the cards went away. Tucked away in my childhood bedroom closet were a couple three-ring binders filled with cards. Mostly dupes upon dupes upon dupes of cards that probably have no real value but at the time were players I liked. I'll collect those next time I'm home. Also in there was a box of a couple of hundred cards. Players include Andre Dawson, Dwight Gooden, Cal Ripken Jr., Ryne Sandberg, Darryl Strawberry, and many others including some trading cards of basketball, football, and hockey players. Seeing those kind of sparked something.

Here is a photograph of the box, which I will do a separate blog post about in the hopefully near future:



Now, here some scans I made at work of some of the cards in there. I used the cards to make the header, along with a few pictures from baseball games I attended last year in Washington, D.C., Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. I'd like to create a complete list of them just in case there are any that I have that others might want.

The below are a 1972 Topps Willie Stargell; 1978 Topps Willie McCovey; 1984 Topps Ryne Sandberg; 1986 Fleer Cal Ripken Jr. "Ripken In-Action"; 1987 Topps John Kruk; 1987 Topps Darryl Strawberry; and a wrapper from a 1987 wax pack.










PS: What the hell? How can Stargell, Sandberg, McCovey, Topps, Fleer, and so much more not be already in my computer's dictionary? Should come standard. Come on!

No comments:

Post a Comment