Tuesday, April 19, 2016

What's in the box, Part 2

It was easier for this blog post to just photograph the cards in the box. The cards are in alphabetical order in the box. These cards are A-D, but D only up to Davis. The next card are all Andre Dawson but he will get his own post. What I find most frustrating is that I know...I KNOW... that I had more cards than this. I mean, thousands upon thousands. But where the bloody hell are they? I know we as a family got ride of a ton of dupes and commons a year or so ago. But I cannot stomach not knowing what happened to them all. In this set of cards from A-D there are a grand total of... wait for it... 15 cards. 15!

The A-cards:  There are two Jim Abbott cards. He was a remarkable pitcher, overcoming being one-handed and pitching decently at the major league level for ten years. These two cards are Abbott's Olypmpic 1988 Topps Traded #1 card.  Is it me, or is this perhaps iconic in a different way to Mark McGwire's undoubtedly more famous 1985 issue, which was issued in the 1985 base set.  The second Abbott card is the 1988 Broder Series 2 card.

The other card here is Sandy Alomar Jr. This card is his 1988 CMC Triple A All-Stars card when Alomar Jr. played for the Las Vegas Stars team.



The B's! Just two here. Jorge (aka George) Bell and Johnny Bench.

This is Jorge (George) Bell's 1982 Topps rookie card. I love the 1982 design & the inclusion of the autograph was a nice touch. It is classic. I think I like the 1981 better; there is something about that ball cap on them that is quintessential.  TRADED

The Johnny Bench card is Topps, 1974. The only reason I can think I have this is that it is from the year of my birth, and so collecting cards from that year made sense? It does not get much more baseball, if you know what I meant, than Johnny Bench.


The C's: A nice variety here, I think.

Jose Canseco: the epitome of classic childhood memories: the 1987 wood grain Topps rookie card. You might not discern it, but there are two cards here.

Ozzie Canseco, the little brother than could not. His 1989 Upper Deck rookie card.  I remember when Upper Deck came out. The first pack I opened had Ken Griffey Jr. in it and I kind of felt like, "Ok, I can stop now." I sensed something quite different about Upper Deck and then within two years (because of girls, probably) I was out of baseball cards.

Gary "The Kid" Carter:  This is his 1976 Topps All-Star rookie card. Such a difference in designed between 1975 and 1976. They must have stopped smoking whatever they were smokin'.... Anyway, rest in peace.

Jack Clark. I hated Jack Clark when he played for the Cardinals so I cannot fathom what made me (or my brother, whose card this might very well have been) want this card. Anyway, 1978 Topps. Another classic design.

Roger Clemens. 1985 Topps rookie card. Though I grew up a Pirates and Mets fan, I loved Roger Clemens. Man could he throw. If I remember correctly there is probably nothing in the world I would have traded for this card.



The D's: This is only some of my D's. I have a ton of Andre Dawson cards, a zillion of the dupes but that will be its own post later this week or so. For now, we have

After being so incredibly Topps-centric, we come to Kal Daniels (and Paul O'Neill).  This is their 1986 Fleer shared rookie card. Kal Daniels was another one of those players who were predicted to be awesome. I am not sure what kind of career he had but chances are it was not as productive as the other Reds rookie at the time: Barry Larkin.

Ron Darling. This is his 1984 Donruss "Rated Rookie" card. I do not know... what there ever a more handsome pitcher?  Um... ah.... Anyway, this is the error card with no number (#30) on the back. Sweet.

Eric Davis. Another card I never would have parted with. Davis' 1985 Topps rookie card. He and Darryl Strawberry... Seemed like they were destined for baseball immortality but both failed for various serious reasons not to. This begs the question regarding expectations for players. So so so very few live up to them, which I do not necessarily blame the player for.

Glenn Davis, signed. A signed 1988 Donruss card of Glenn Davis, former slugger for the Houston Astros.


A nice group of cards. All of them I think seem in quite good condition. Maybe some mint, maybe some just below. If anyone out there reads this blog and is interested in any of them, or more, please do let me know.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment