Tuesday, April 26, 2016

What's in the box, Part 4: Sid Fernandez

I have just one ballplayer in the F's in my alphabetical run of cards. Sid Fernandez's 1984 Donruss Rated Rookie (Rookie Card), wearing the Los Angeles Dodgers uniform, card number 44. Which I think was his waist size.



Of course, by the time this card was on the market, El Sid was already a member of the New York Mets... Speaking of which, I recently read The Bad Guys Won: A Season of Brawling, Boozing, Bimbo Chasing, and Championship Baseball with Straw, Doc, Mookie, Nails, the Kid, and the Rest of the ... Put on a New York Uniform--and Maybe the Best by Jeff Pearlman. I really enjoyed it. The anecdotes about this team were astonishing. I turned 12 that summer and of course had no idea any of this was going on. The shenanigans and tomfoolery (shenanifoolery, if you are into portmanteau's). I picked up within a few years all the stuff about drug problems. And I do remember contemporary reports about Keith Hernandez and cocaine. What I loved about 1986 was just simply the Mets themselves. Loved Darryl Strawberry, and loved the winning and stats and imitating Strawberry's batting stance (though I was a righty). The stories about Sid Fernandez's intelligence, or lack thereof, had me in hysterics. Sorry, Sid. I don't mean to laugh at you and am sure of the following: you have more baseball smarts than I will ever have and you could probably bean me in the head from any distance -- please don't.

To make up for this small post, the next few will be G's including Gary Gaeti, Dwight Gooden, and Mike Greenwell, among others. Look for those later this week or so.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment