Friday, April 29, 2016

What's in the box, Part 5

The following cards are for baseball players whose last name begins with G, but are not Dwight Gooden or Mike Greenwell. Those will be posts following this one.

First up is the Minnesota Twins' Gary Gaetti. I have two copies of his 1983 Topps card. A classic Topps design to say the least by a guy who played the game well.


Also with Gaeti above is Fleer's 1986 Major League Prospects card #647 features a nobody and a somebody: Fred Toliver of the Philadelphia Phillies and Andres Galarraga of the Montreal Expos. Saying Toliver is a nobody is a bit unfair because he played ten years in the big leagues which is far more than I have ever accomplished.

I have five Tom Gordon cards. Three from 1989 (Fleer, Topps Traded, and Upper Deck) and two from 1990 (Fleer and Score). All wearing Kansas City Royals uniforms, 1 showing his in inaction, and four in mid-pitch action. One (Fleer, 1990) even has a sticker for a yard sale that I tried to sell the card at back in the day.



A triple decker of Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr.! This is the Seattle Mariners slugger's rookie Fleer card  from 1989. It's a shame that within a few years of this I stopped collecting baseball cards and also stopped paying attention to baseball for the rest of the 1990s and missed much of his time in baseball. But, that was one sweet swing.



I really need to invest in a scanner. In other card news, 33 of the 38 cards I needed for my 2016 Topps Series One set arrived the other day, courtesy of Just Commons. That leaves just five cards I need. These five are on the way in care of Check Out My Cards and I hope to have them soon. I'm excited to have the set complete, and am thankful to Tony L from Off Hiatus Baseball Cards for the recommendations.

Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. I'm just catching up on reading blog posts tonight after having been gone all week. I'm happy I could help you out with my recommendations on where to get cards reasonably inexpensively online.

    Other than 2016 Topps, is there anything in particular you are looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony. I'm still going through a box of stuff and cataloging what I have. The players I am interested in are Darryl Strawberry, Ryne Sandberg, and the currently playing Andrew McCutchen. As for what I'm looking for, probably an awful lot! I hope to have all the cards I have listed on the blog by the end of the month.

    ~pks

    ReplyDelete