Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Andrew McCutchen: Topps NOW #39

As Andrew McCutchen of the Pittsburgh Pirates is my current favorite baseball player, when Topps produced a ToppsNOW card for his 3 home run performance on 26 April 2016 in Colorado, I decided I had to buy the card to see how it all looked.

The card is handsome. It feels thinner, and so therefore less sturdy, than the base series of 2016 Topps cards. Somewhere I read that Topps wasn't going to be printing serial numbers on these 24-hour cards. I wish they would. It's fine and dandy to list the print run on their website, but I can't help but feel that by not printing them on the physical card -- and there is a ton of space for this on the back -- that they are going to be issuing a complete set at some point after the season. They are in the business of making money, so I understand if they do that. But the experience of buying something available for a brief period of time would be cheapened. It's probably a style-sheet inclusion, but on their website you do have the option to "Sign up to get notified when this product is back in stock."



524 of these babies were printed. I'm thrilled to own one of them. Possibly I could have found a copy on eBay or via a trade somewhere down the road but I did want to try out the service. I think in the future I'll only buy one if it commemorates a performance I witnessed in person.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment