Sunday, June 12, 2016

Cards to be Named Later

I've sent a few cards out to new homes which makes me happy. Recently I got my first return from P-Town Tom over at Waiting 'til Next Year. I think he and I both wish we had one of these to smack:


I sent two Ryne Sandberg Panini's and some 2016 Topps Series 1 Cubs and in exchange scored three Darryl Strawberry's. This is great as they enhance my collection.

In chronological order, I got a 1989 Sportflics, Card #205, when Straw was still a New York Mets outfielder. This is a duplicate but P-Town Tom didn't know I had it already and what's great about this card is that it's in better condition than the one I recently unearthed.


The other two cards are my first non-Mets and post-retirement Strawberry cards. These are from a period in his career about which I know nothing (other than what I read in his Straw and in High and Tight: The Rise and Fall of Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry by Bob Klapisch) and also about baseball cards in general. I think had I still been collecting in 1993, I'd be in a better position to understand and comprehend the developments that cards have undergone and perhaps had less a weird reaction to the technology.

From 1992-1996, Denny's teamed with Upper Deck to produce Grand Slam Hologram cards. I have to admit, I'm absolutely taken with this card. At certain angles, the three-dimensionality of the Hologram is freaking trippy. This is card #9 of 28 and features a photograph of a post-swing Strawberry and a hologram of him sliding feet first into a base. Very cool... And, to boot, the image was missing on Trading Card Database so I was able to add that to it. Everyone's a winner!


The third card is a 2013 Panini Hometown Heroes showing Strawberry in a "New York" uniform with no logos, which I guess means this is an unlicensed card. This is card #155 of 300.



Thanks P-Town Tom for sending these great cards. It is very exciting to trade. I realize I haven't got much that most people don't already have. But I loved sending out these things that will fill in Tom's collection, plus the 2016 Topps cards that he didn't know he was getting... but for me, the anticipation of waiting for cards to be named later was truly trilling.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, I do wish I had an easy button! Thanks for the trade!

    ReplyDelete