Sunday, June 26, 2016

Dodgers vs Pirates, Friday 24 June 2016

The Pirates-Dodgers game Friday night at Pittsburgh's beautiful PNC Park was memorable for many reasons. It was the 1000th career victory for manager Clint Hurdle, and featured a couple of long balls. I sat in the bleachers, section 136, row B. Yasiel Puig's home run sailed far over my head and was impressive. The Kang and Joyce home run's were welcome and though the pitching was shaky, in the end "we" pulled it out.

Starling Marte, the left fielder, as a really good rapport with the fans out there, giving warm-up toss balls to fans in various sections. And even shamed someone for snagging a ball meant for a kid. The atmosphere and environment is so wonderful there: a far cry from my standard experiences at Fenway Park in recent years.

One of the interesting things was seeing the Dodgers outfielders near me, Howie Kendrick and Scott Van Slyke, looking at note cards that they kept in the back pockets that told them where to stand in the outfield. This was biggish news back in May when the Dodgers sought permission from the Mets to paint spots on their outfield to help the players.

Before the game, I took the 3:45 pm tour of the ballpark which I did because it afforded me the chance to watch batting practice. We missed the Pirates pretty much, except for sneak peaks from various stops on the tour; but getting to watch the Dodgers was fun, too. Seeing Clayton Kershaw, Chase Utley, Yasiel Puig, Scott Kazmir, Kenta Maeda, Justing Turner, Adrian Gonzalez all up close was nifty. It was also a free T-shirt Friday so I got a Kang shirt. Nice.

While I tweeted during the tour and game here are some pictures...













The photos are all out of order, sorry! There it is, enjoying a Victory Hop Devil IPA in advance of a Pirates victory. #RaiseIt

5 comments:

  1. PNC is my favorite MLB ballpark. Hands down. Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You even topped it off an awesome day with a good Pennsylvania beer. Maybe you brought some good karma since they won yesterday as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tom: I love PNC too. The view of downtown & the bridges is stunning & right.

    Yo Matt: Let's hope so. Tough match up tonight but I'm pulling for a decisive series win in spite of it. I had another local beer, too, but can't remember what it was but I was less impressed.

    -Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make it out to PNC one of these days - I've heard so many good things about the place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony! PNC Park is stunning. Good food, great beer & fans and vibe. Cannot recommend it highly enough. & the 'burgh is a great city on top of it all.
    -Peter

    ReplyDelete