Thursday, June 30, 2016

Strawberry Picking

One of my favorite things to do is visit the local farm each June and go strawberry picking. Since I've started collecting cards again, I decided I'd do the same thing but with Darryl Strawberry cards. Recently COMC had a deal where if you spent $20 you got free shipping so I decided to select a bunch of cards that looked interesting and filled in some my pre-1990 holes. I also think I didn't follow the instructions correctly and paid for shipping. Oh well.

I did select a number of the more prominent makers like Topps and Fleer, but I was really intrigued mostly by the oddball or more limited cards. Like a darn fool I bought one card that I already have (1988 Topps Kay Bee Toys Superstars). One of the factors that went into the order was the quasi-unknown: seeing cards listed on COMC that weren't represented in the Trading Card Database. Thus I was able to get something for my collection, and contribute to theirs.

1987
Topps Boardwalk and Baseball Top Run Makers Box Set [Base] #33
Topps Kay Bee Toys Superstars of Baseball Box Set [Base] #31



1988
Classic Update Blue Travel Edition #209
Drake's Big Hitters/Super Pitchers Food Issue [Base] #3
Fleer Baseball Record Setters Box Set [Base] #39
Fleer Baseball's Best Sluggers vs. Pitchers Box Set [Base] #40
Fleer Baseball's Hottest Stars Box Sets [Base] #39
Fleer Baseball's League Leaders Box Set [Base] #40
King-B Collector's Edition Discs Food Issue [Base] #8
Sportflics #155
Sportflics Gamewinners Box Set [Base] #15
Topps Big #253
Topps Kay Bee Toys Superstars of Baseball Box Set [Base] #29
Topps Kmart Memorable Moments #29
Topps United Kingdom Minis #76







1989
Bowman #387
Cereal MSA Superstars #3
Donruss MVP #BC-6
Fleer Baseball MVP Box Set [Base] #36
Fleer Baseball's League Leaders Box Set [Base] #37
Fleer Limited Edition Baseball Superstars Box Set [Base] #39
J.J. Nissen Super Stars Food Issue [Base] #10
Kahn's New York Mets #DAST
King-B Collector's Edition Discs #15
O-Pee-Chee #300
Topps Kmart Dream Team Box Set [Base] #28
Topps Cap'n Crunch Food Issue [Base] #7






Hope you enjoy these images. The back side of the 1989 Bowman is perhaps my favorite and I'll include an image here because I love the information it printed: Strawberry's 1988 stats by team played. I think this was a wicked cool idea. I know this information is now readily available through Baseball-Reference and maybe other websites, but putting my 1989 hat on and thinking about the other cards shown here, it really stands out.



Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Not a bad haul from COMC. I find COMC is the best place to go to find the oddballs and food issues if you can't find them at a card show. You might pay a bit for them, but at least you can find them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday I'll try COMC, especially if I keep seeing nice hauls like the one you have displayed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had good experience with them, and justcommons too. Are there any sites out there you can recommend?

      -Peter

      Delete