Friday, July 15, 2016

Strawberry Patch, Part the First

Tony, the Musical Baseball Card Blogger of the vast Off Hiatus Baseball Cards sent me a cache of Darryl Strawberry baseball cards in trade for some Brewers cards. My first thought when I opened the package was



My thoughts after looking at them all and cataloging them and scanning them remains thus.

Given T-MasterFlash's impressive penchant for posts with songs I felt I needed to reciprocate in kind. Given the focus of my collection, I would be remiss if I didn't start with "Strawberry Fields Forever" by the Beatles.


Tony sent me so many cards I've decided to break this up into a few posts. This first one focuses on those cards from the 1980s, from Straw's best partial decade in baseball. Here are the cards followed by a list of them.

While Darryl Strawberry was the rookie of the year in 1983, his first full year in the big leagues was 1984, which proved to be also a great year for him. At the time there was so much promise that we have to turn it over to Limahl of Kajagoogoo...


Kind of wish Strawberry grew his hair out like that, don't you?





But before we get to the list, here's a song that mentions a contemporary of Strawberry's, Bo Jackson, and was a favorite back in High School.


1986 Topps KayBee Young Superstars of Baseball #31
1987 Fleer League Leaders #41
1987 Topps KayBee Superstars of Baseball #31
1988 Donruss All-Stars #34
1988 Fleer Baseball '88 All Stars #40
1988 Sportflics #155
1988 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball #22
1988 Topps KMart Memorable Moments #29
1989 Bowman #387
1989 Fleer Baseball All Stars #39
1989 Topps All-Star Set Collector's Edition #8
1989 Topps KMart Dream Team #28

If you're done with baseball cards, Thanks for stopping by. If you want a little more music, please continue...

One of the things collecting baseball cards has done for me is had be back in the 1980s thinking about its music, movies, the baseball players and a life & history generally and willfully forgotten about. But maybe they weren't all that bad. Baseball cards is in some way a remedy to that amnesiac nostalgia.


I'll close with just one more song/video that will take us all back to the past. Might have been better for a post about Roger Clemens but man does this one revolutionary video seem dated...



Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I love it when I inspire another blogger to start embedding music videos! :-)

    And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Or, the stem on the Strawberry.

    ReplyDelete