Monday, July 18, 2016

Strawberry Patch, Part the Second

This is the second post pimping the Darryl Strawberry cards that Tony of Off Hiatus Baseball Cards sent my way in early July and will look at the 1990s and 2000's during Strawberry's somewhat nomadic tour in and out of baseball as with different clubs, concluding with his after-baseball cards. the first post can be read here. And in working on this post I decided to break out the rest into a third, so look for that shortly! Here's the first post!

To start it off, let's have a song from the summer of 1990:


It's tragic to post that... This was actually embarrassing to find and embed. My wife was like, "What are you doing?" and inched away from me on the sofa.

1990 Baseball Card Magazine #19
1990 Donruss #235
1990 Fleer #217
1990 Topps #600
1990 Topps All-Star Set Collector's Edition #7
1990 Upper Deck #182

1991 was a better summer for music (maybe) but by this time I was too busy for baseball cards because of working a summer job, eating pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, girls, and training for my senior year of cross country (we won the State championship) which was unbelievably awesome.


1991 Fleer #161
1991 Jimmy Dean # 5
1991 Score #640
1991 Score  #691 (Master Blaster)
1991 Topps #200
1991 Topps All-Star #402
1992 Donruss #559
1992 Jimmy Dean # 9
1992 Studio #50

Well, one time we all might have been unbelievable. By 1991 and 1992, Strawberry was less so because of various injuries and lifestyle choices which is a shame. He had been in the big leagues for nearly a decade and should've been at his prime.

For music, 1992 was prime with excellent choices. It doesn't get any better or more 1992 than this:



Speaking of 1992 and sexy... The 1992 Studio card lists that Bo Derek was the person Strawberry wanted to meet most. She wasn't in anything worthwhile that year, but in 1990 she was in Ghosts Can't Do It for which she won a Golden Raspberry, which is a fruit-ish cousin of the strawberry. Donald Trump was also in that movie. I quit!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Frankly, I'm a little embarrassed that cards I sent to you led you to post a New Kids song.

    Humorously, I saw a hipster wannabe waitress -- with many tattoos and facial piercings -- wearing a New Kids t-shirt. I wasn't sure if NKOTB are so not cool that they are cool, if she was being ironic, or maybe she's a 90s teenie bopper in the guise of a 20-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, EMF got away with saying both "What the F*ck" and "Bl*w me" in that song without any censorship because it was hollered and not clearly enunciated.

      Delete
    2. Tony! I didn't know that about the EMF lyrics. Also, I'll understand completely if you want the Strawberry cards (from this post only) back for the trauma of NKOTB. I think deep down inside we're all a bit 90s teenie bopper. Deny if if you want, I won't believe you. I should think if the waitress were being ironic she'd've had on an Alanis Morrisette t-shirt. Waka waka waka!

      Delete