Thursday, July 21, 2016

Strawberry Patch, Part the Third

This is the third and final part of the posts thanking Tony of Off Hiatus Baseball Cards for his kindness is sending me so much for so little. We've left, temporarily, the 1980s and 1990s behind in the first two posts (here and here)... Enter the 2010s...


2013 Topps - Chasing History #CH-89
2013 Topps Allen & Ginter - Mini A and G Back #98

The "Chasing History" card is really sweet and made me think of Coldplay's song "Strawberry Swing":


2014 Topps Allen & Ginter #325
2014 Topps Manufactured Commemorative All-Star Rookie Team Patch RCMP-DS



The above patch from 2014 is what inspired the title for this series of posts. It's pretty cool. And I have to admit that in my trolling around looking at images of cards, I wasn't immediately taken with the design of the Allen & Ginter ones. However, in person, in my hands, seen with my four eyes, they give quite a different impression and I find them very attractive.

There weren't any good songs in 2014, so I'll turn back the clock to 1985. I gave in and turned away from baseball cards a few summers after this song was released and I realize now that that was a mistake because of the joy and happiness collecting gives me. So, never surrender.



Now for the obligatory Biggy-Smalls part of the series. Tony included a monstrous 1986 Donruss All-Stars card along with many stickers and a mini. I don't know any good songs by B.I.G. and became nauseous looking up songs by Mr. Big, so will instead go with a pop culture movie reference:



1984 Topps Stickers #385
1985 Topps Stickers #179
1986 Donruss All-Stars #5
1986 Donruss All-Stars, Pop-Ups #5
1986 Fleer Mini #21

1988 Panini Stickers #342
1988 Topps Stickers #21 (#99 Howard Johnson/#218 Bruce Fields)
1988 Topps Stickers #96 Darryl Strawberry (#62 Bruce Hurst back)
1988 Topps Stickers #151 Darryl Strawberry (#17 Jeffrey Leonard back)
1988 Topps Stickers #151 Darryl Strawberry (#63 Mark Langston back)

1989 Panini Stickers #140
1989 Panini Stickers #223


#SmallCardsMatter

All in all this was a wonderful boon (and I do not mean Aaron) to my collection. Thanks Tony!

I'll end with two videos for two of my favorite songs of all time: Oasis' "Wonderwall" and Radiohead's "Street Spirit (Fade Out)":




Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, careful with that Ginter stuff. You start thinking it looks good, and the next thing you know you'll be buying a Hobby box and participating in the Gint-A-Cuffs competition!

    I'm glad you like all these. It's always a pleasure to send cards to someone who appreciates them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you at this time now such thing will happen. I like 'em, but not that much. I really do like these cards. I haven't been able to put them away yet because I keep picking the pile up and looking at them, reading the backs, and feeling old because the font is so f'ing small.

      Delete