Saturday, October 1, 2016

Darryl Strawberry: You're a 1988 Glossy Platinum Star

Star is the bane of my existence. There is gold, regular, silver, nova, home run, etc. I was going through the myriad mini sets of these cards and this one threw me in a tizzy for about ten minutes because I just blogged about the 1988 Star Platinum but these cards below weren't the same cards. Then I remembered that these lovely pink ones were "glossy". Or, maybe the the blue one was the "glossy" one?  Oh, I don't know.

I do like collecting these because they do represent little mini-sets of cards and in one fell swoop I can add 9-12 cards to my collection. The same-y-ness of all the sets is rather redundant, but what can you do? When you're a collector you're a collector. I really don't remember these cards from when I was a boy of 14 when this set was issued. But looking at what's out there on comc, justcommons, ebay and what's listed on the trading card database, most of it is unfamiliar. Which is rather nice. I do take some kind of strange comfort in the familiar like the designs of the 1987 Topps and the 1988 Fleer, but it's also spectacular to see all the other issues.












Well, that's that for this set.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. FYI, I was riding home after the high school football game last night around 10:30pm and was listening to ESPN radio and they were doing an interview with Strawberry. It was fun to listen to. I wonder if you can find it somewhere on the internet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Thanks for the heads-up Tom. I'll see if I can find it! -pks

      Delete