Monday, November 28, 2016

Darryl Strawberry 2012 Panini "Prime Cuts" Biography card

This is the first of two Darryl Strawberry relic cards that I bid on, and won, on eBay recently. I was curious about this kind of card as it (the concept) wasn't around (I don't think) back in the late 1980s during the peak and cessation of my primary collecting years.  I did pull a Ken Griffey Jr. relic card from Topps Series 2 earlier this year which I have to be honest was quite exciting in a weird dorky way.

On July 28, 1996, Strawberry hit his third home run of the year at Kansas City. On the day he went 2-4, scoring one run and knocking in two RBI's. There's a bit of a confusion going on here on the card. Panini clearly isn't licensed as there is no logo on Straw's helmet; and, he's clearly wearing a New York Mets uniform in the picture. And the front of the card commemorates his number with the Mets "No. 18", and not the jersey he wore for the Yankees (No. 39 that year). So... weird... I don't really know what's going on but I do hope that the uniform bit is Yankee gray from that day.  but at the same time cool to have. Especially so as this is a serial numbered card, 17 of 25.




Overall I think the relic cards are cool. I'm not going to go crazy buying/collecting them or anything. But the idea of it I like. I still don't have an authentic autograph issue of a Strawberry card but I am keeping my eyes open for this kind of baseball card.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet looking, low numbered card... very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom! As I said in the most this was my first Strawberry relic. I have at least one more and hope to get more in the future. Be cool.

    ReplyDelete