Friday, December 30, 2016

COMC Black Friday Buy

I took advantage of the free shipping option that COMC put out for Black Friday and got these cards. You needed to buy at least twenty cards to quality and I stopped myself at twenty-three Darryl Strawberry baseball cards for my collection. I love free shipping! And I'm sure tons of other collectors and gift givers were also taking advantage of the deal.

As you'll see below, if you make it down to the bottom, I concentrated on 1990 and before cards. First up, 1986.

1986 Fleer Star Stickers, Card #116
1986 O-Pee-Chee Album Stickers, Card #95
1986 Topps Stickers, Card #95
1986 Topps - Glossy Send-Ins, Card #11






My 1986 Strawberry's are slowly building towards completion which is thrilling. Especially as these were cards I would have had something like access to when I was a lad. Though some of these seem hard to get so I'll certainly be happy to get what I can. I remember collecting those stickers and pasting them into books. Do you? Would love to know if anyone has these empty or filled in and if scans are available. I just Googled this: man did it bring back some pre-pubescent memories.

Now we come to 1987.

1987 Burger King All-Pro Complete Panel, Card #19-20 (with Fernando Valenzuela)
1987 Donruss Highlights, Card #42
1987 Donruss Highlights, Card #49
1987 Donruss Opening Day Box Set, Card #128
1987 Fleer World Series, Card #11 (with Ray Knight)
1987 Kraft Home Plate Heroes Food Issue, Card #26
1987 MSA Jiffy Pop Collector's Edition Discs Food Issue, Card #17
1987 Our Own Tea Discs With Tabs, Card #1
1987 Topps Coins, Card #46
1987 Topps Stickers Hardback Test Issue, Card #159













The 1987 cards in my collection, as well, are coming together. My favorites of these are the Donruss cards for some reason. Particularly that Opening Day card. Dig that maroon border. The Fleer World Series card with Ray Knight is also awesome.

Are you ready to move on to 1988?

1988 Donruss Baseball's Best Box Set, Card #182
1988 Fleer Headliners, Card #4
1988 Fleer Kay Bee Toys Team Leaders Box Sets, Card #40
1988 Grenada Major League Baseball in Stamps U.S. Series 1, Card #NNO
1988 Kahn's New York Mets, Card #27
1988 MSA Fantastic Sam's Baseball Superstars Disc, Card #17
1988 Our Own Tea Discs With Tabs, Card #DAST
1988 Tea Super Stars Discs, Card #17 (This might be the same as the above)










1988: Strawberry's monster year. Home slice finished second in the MVP and lead the league in Home Runs, Slugging, OPS, and OPS+. I don't remember much about Kirk Gibson's year aside from his World Series heroics, but looking at their stats side-by-side, I feel like Straw was hosed. How cool, though, is the Grenada stamp?  It's all about awesome. I was a fan then, and am a massive fan now, of the Fleer Headliners cards. They are really neat and I feel the design holds up really well now, nearly 30 years later.

1989: the red-headed step child left out....But, there was one card from 1990!

1990 Collect-A-Books, Card #20



This little 1990 booklet is quite cool, too. I didn't realize it was an actual booklet when I bought it but I'm sure glad I did.

I kind of went a little disc crazy with this order, even going so far as ordering two of the same 1988 Our Own Tea discs. But, here's my conundrum and I'd appreciate your opinion on this. One of the Our Own Tea's is unopened, and the same situation exists for the 1987 Our Own. To bastardize my good Danish homeboy, Hamlet:

To open, or not to open, that is the question:
Whether 'tis Wiser to let be be
And not open the bloody Tea discs,
Or to take Tweezers against it,
And by careful prying open them:...

Please read the original. I did a little nudge to the 1988 and saw Dwight Gooden represented but I have no idea the extent of the insides. I'd really appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. I would probably leave the discs sealed - at least until I got another one. I would probably try to collect one sealed and one open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angus: this is sound advice. Some of the discs above - and probably in other posts - have already been opened so I'm not sure what was inside & thus missing? But, since I do have 2 of that 1988 disc already...

      Delete
  2. I'm not familiar with the tea discs, is there something inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tyler. I'm not sure what's inside at all. Certainly not a bag of tea.

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh... I think I'd leave them as they are and maybe track down another opened one like Agnus stated if you're curious.

    Some of the deals were pretty good on COMC... I find it really difficult to draw the line on my purchases. 23 is a good number, congrats on drawing the line early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom! I do sometimes regret stopping at 23 but the line has to be drawn...Thank you, too, for your thoughts on the disc. I'll definitely leave the singular one's be for now, but since I have 2 of that 1988 issue!

      Delete
  4. Nice oddball haul. Love the discs and the Grenada stamp. Have a great 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thank you again for the Secret Santa stash! I'm working on a post for that now and it'll be up in a few days. Have a great 2017, too!

      Delete