Monday, December 19, 2016

Darryl Strawberry 10 card order #1

Recently I found myself randomly buying some Darryl Strawberry cards on Ebay. Got a decent deal, I think, and the cards all fill in emptiness in the collection. I bought 20 cards total. Ten from one seller and ten from another. The bulk purchase scored me a 10% discount which meant, basically, that I was getting one of the cards for free. I think the shipping was reduced, too.

I was a little embarrassed that I didn't seem to have the 1986 Donruss, Card #197, in my collection. I know I must have had it when I was a kid and feel like the only reason for it's absence is my brother's spite. He probably chucked 'em all.


The 1989 MSA Holsum Discs, Card #10, was new to me. I don't think we had Holsum where I grew up. This picture of Strawberry is the same as on the 1989 JJ Nissen card. They are both bread companies so maybe they were somehow connected? I was a Wonder Bread boy.


In 1989 we definitely had, however, Topps Big's, and this Card #139 was one I know I had. I love the backs of these because they remind me of a Bazooka cartoon. To make them fit on line, though, I had to smallify the cards...


Speaking of bread, this is the 1991 Panini Canadian Top 15 Card #10. This is a sticker but I won't be putting it on my laptop or skateboard or anything.


Well, now were in the dark time for Strawberry with this 1993 Stadium Club, Dodgers  Card #1. Cool design; I like the gold baseball thing on the right hand side and the back is quite colorful and busy with another player photo, the name on the bat, etc.


The real reason for this purchase was the following four 2002 cards: Topps Archives Card #159; Topps Archives Reserve Card #88; Topps Super Teams Card #138; Topps Super Teams Retrofractors Card #138. The first two are undoubtedly not a surprise to any one of the 2.1 people reading this blog as they are reprints of the 1987 Topps card design. Confusingly, Strawberry is card 159 in the set of 200 but the original card number appears on the back. The Archives Reserve and the Retrofractor but didn't scan very nicely but what can you do.





Last but not least in this order is this 2011 Topps Triple Threads, Card #64 (SN1500). The number I have is #701 which is pretty middle of the road. I'm not sure, but I imagine the lower the number the better? Anyone have any knowledge about this? In my other life I have from time to time seen limited edition/numbered rare books and find that it is often the case that the lower numbers sell for more money. Not sure if it's the same with baseball cards.



Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. Nice cards!

    Believe it or not, my little league bat had Darryl Strawberry's name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Holsum card is cool. I had no idea what Holsum was. Like you, Wonderbread was king.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't come across more expensive cards just because they were low numbered when the print run is in the triple or quadruple digits. Unless it's something like #1 or the player's jersey number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and thoughts on the SN numbers. It makes total sense that the more limited the availability the potential to see some higher prices. Thanks!

      Delete