Friday, December 16, 2016

Two Packs of 2016 Topps Update Series

Blog post updated: 18 December 2016

Tyler at Rekindling the Cardboard Flame sent me two packs of 2016 Topps Update Series because I was one of the lucky eight that commented on his recent blog post, "Topps Goes Mega" in which he discusses the Chrome Update Series. I enjoyed his blog post, and the scans of the cards, but the images made me want to eat Skittles, play Mastermind, and go back to Chicago to view their amazing Seurat. For this last one I settled on just re-watching for the umpteen-thousandth time Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The packs feature the seemingly retired David Ortiz (do not pull a Brett Farve or Roger Clemens, dude: just stay retired), and a skinny eight cards.


Tyler wrote in his blog that he had already collected the update series and that he "honestly don't think I'll pull anything good." Well, he had good premonitions there! Chock full of rookies, trades, All-Stars and the usually myriad of inserts and parallels, the update series packs that I opened yielded a couple of semi-hits. And what I mean by that are basically two decent players, a lot of good players, and several I've never heard of...and I thought I was paying attention.

I preserved the original order of the cards for this post as perhaps that might be interesting to some, to see how these sixteen cards in two packs were collated.

Pack the First:
Corey Kluber, Cleveland Indians (All-Star Game), US56 TRADED
Jeremy Hazelbaker, St. Louis Cardinals (Rookie Card), US99
Justin Grimm, Chicago Cubs, US276
Albert Suarez, San Francisco Giants (Rookie Card), US224
A.J. Reed, Houston Astros (Rookie Card), US92
Craig Sager (First Pitch, Chicago Cubs, R.I.P.), FP-9 TRADED
Chad Green/Conor Mullee, New York Yankees (Rookie Combos), US3
Joe Biagini, Toronto Blue Jays (Rookie Card), US242 TRADED


Pack the Second:
Francisco Lindor, Cleveland Indians (All-Star Game), US275 TRADED
Fernando Rodney, Miami Marlins (All-Star Game), US173
Byung-Ho Park, Minnesota Twins (Rookie Card), US65
Tyrell Jenkins, Atlanta Braves (Rookie Card), US88
Jeff Bauman (First Pitch, Boston Red Sox), FP-1TRADED
Neil Walker, New York Mets, US22
Pedro Alvarez, Baltimore Orioles, US8
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Detroit Tigers, US261


Thanks, Tyler, for sending these along.  If these fill in any holes or needs in your collections don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. It's me again...Would I be able to pick up the Craig Saber first pitch and the other first pitch card from you?

    ReplyDelete