Tuesday, January 31, 2017

1982 Topps Set

Taking a break tonight from my normal subject. This might be because of my cold, or just because Topps is set (pun!) to release Series 1 of their 2017 base imminently. Speaking of colds: does anyone take those little blissful green zeppelin shaped NyQuil pills? I've been taking them at night and don't come out from under the dopey grogginess until mid-afternoon. Even have had some weird dreams, like one where JFK and I were bicycling up telephone poles. When I told my wife she said, "Oh, that might be why you were breathing really heavy at one point in the night." It was hard work.

I have a growing personal collection of Darryl Strawberry cards and a small, very glacier like one as far as growth is concerned, for John Kruk. This must mirror his speed on the base paths.... But I also like sets. In the last year, I received a number of sets as gifts for Christmas and a birthday. All Topps: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989, and Topps Traded for those years as well. Actually some of those I may have bought myself; or in the case of 1987 Topps I made two sets from the purchase of a few boxes. But I loved getting them, reading the cards, and rehousing them in new boxes, looking at all of the cards, etc: remembering the player and card designs of my youth. But also being kind of astounded at how many names and faces I no longer recognized but which whom I must have once been familiar.

I recently got from eBay a complete 1982 set: Ripken rookie and all. The set claimed to be "complete" and, to my happiness, it really was. Most of the other sets listed above also claimed to be complete but were missing minor, random commons. No biggie. But for sets with big rookies in them, like 1982, there's always a bit of wonder. For example last July my estimable twin brother got me a 1983 Topps Traded set for our birthday. But it was missing the Strawberry card. This was an oversight as the missing card was listed as missing in the auction but that detail was missed. Those Strawberry's can be had for a song compared to Ripken.

In reviewing the set and counting the cards I was occasionally stopped in my tracks by interesting cards, random observations, and the like. This is a post about some of those card.

Foolish would it be not to start with the said Ripken card. The value of this card is greater than what I paid for the set, which is always funny. You'd like that would be the base price to begin with!


I was particularly pleased that when I opened the box the Ripken card was on top, just as it is in this photograph, doubly protected with a penny sleeve and a hard plastic case. The guy I bought it from included a complete checklist which was really useful in verifying that the set was complete.


Here are some classic 1982 baseball players. A shout out to to Righetti who was among the toughest pitchers in the Majors at this time, as well as to Yount, Candelaria, and Cey.


More goodies: Tim "Hall of Fame" Raines, the other Mike Tyson, Jeff "later Jeffrey" Leonard, and Tommy John. In looking at John's card, the gravity and importance of that "On Disabled List" struck me more poignantly than ever before because of the epidemic "Tommy John" surgery has become in the last decade.


There's a close-up for you. This is a great set to have. It's bowed from age but I'm going to try to straighten out the cards by completely filling in the rest of the space in this box and "pressing" them. Does anyone know of any home-remedies for this kind of thing?

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. I've never actually considered trying to make my old cardboard straight again... I just always consider that to be part of its charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is indeed part of its charm; that I want them straightened says more about me than it does about the cards.

      Delete
  2. I don't think pressing will work. I have the same issue will my 82's. They came from vending boxes back in the day. They look just fine in top loaders though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could afford to keep them in top loaders! Tony from Off Hiatus replied to alternate the cards in 20-card or so groups and that might help keep 'em straight. Worth a shot.

      Delete
  3. I was sick two weeks ago and the NyQuil/DayQuil combo helped a ton. Never once felt groggy... but then again... I was using the syrup. Maybe that makes a difference. Plus I was getting a solid 8 to 9 hours of sleep when I normally only get 6 to 7. Anyways... getting back to cards. Congratulations on adding the 82T set to your collection. It's one of my favorites from that decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji! It's a welcome addition for sure. Just 1980 and 1981 to go. In time, in time. I wish I had your NyQuil stamina! I forgot to take the pills last night and still woke up groggy. So maybe it's just me...

      Delete
  4. I had surgery on my leg a few years ago. I was on so much medicine that I had a dream I was fighting someone and fell off my couch.

    Congrats on the 82T set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! Hope you didn't land on the repaired leg! And, hope your back to normal routines by now. Thanks for the congrats. It's a great set.

      Delete