Saturday, January 7, 2017

1985 Drake's Big Hitters Darryl Strawberry

Wrote this in October then got distracted with the Great Shoebox project...

To complement a recent COMC order, which I blogged about here, I bid on and won this 1985 Drake's Big Hitters Darryl Strawberry baseball card. It looks like he's playing at home against the San Francisco Giants, judging by the cap of the player/coach in the dugout, and it also looks like he make have connected for a long ball based on the follow-through of his swing and possibly from reading his eyes? But, this isn't right, likely.

According to the Baseball Almanac, the Mets played the San Francisco Giants at Shea Stadium six times in 1984. Strawberry down right stunk in those six games:

5/22 - 0-4
5/23 - Rained out
5/24 - 0-3
8/24 - 0-3, 1 Run (Game one)
8/24 - 0-3 (Game two)
8/25 - 0-2, 1 RBI
8/26 - 0-5, 1 Run

That's a combined 0 for 20 with 1 RBI and 2 runs scored. Yee-ouch.


But, he got a nice looking card out of his oh-for.

For comparison sake, I looked at the games Strawberry played at Candlestick Park in 1984.

5/15 - 3-5, Double, 3 Runs, 2 RBI
5/16 - 1-3, Double
8/17 - 0-5
8/18 - 2-5, Double, 2 RBI
8/19 - 1-4, Double, 1 run (Game One)
8/19 - 0-3 (Game Two)

That's 7-25. Perfectly respectable and much better than 0-20. A player playing both games of a double header seems like a nostalgic reverie. I'm sure guys do it today but it seems like a it's a by-gone era.

It's one thing to re-collect and admire the regular release cards such as those from Donruss, Fleer and Topps for Darryl Strawberry from his first years in the majors. But, it's something altogether cool to see cards that I was ignorant of when I first got interested in baseball cards back in the early 1980s. I was a Hostess guy myself, preferring Hostess Cupcakes and Twinkies over Ring Dings, Yodels and Zoinks. Even preferred Little Debbie's (those Zebra Cakes...I can't stomach the though these days of eating that kind of stuff but as a kid the sky was the limit).  But now, dammit, I kind of want a Zebra Cake!

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. That's definitely an interesting card...

    It's funny you mention the oddball sets you didn't know about.. Being in Canada we really got none of the oddballs.. We had our own..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike! I'll have to investigate this a little to see what kinds of products were issuing baseball cards.

      Delete
  2. I love the food issues and that's a nice one of Strawberry. Zoinks? I thought was what Shaggy said... I didn't realize that was a snack cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoinks: The Poor Man's Twinkies. The food issues are all kind of cool. I like of course the one's I knew about and hunted for. But the one's that are new to me are purely a result of the marvels of these Interwebs.

      Delete
  3. Ha, I was going to post exactly what P-town Tom said! I had to look up "Zoinks". Never heard of that, except on Scooby-Doo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, though, if it was named because of Scooby-Doo? Maybe no way to know. Gadzooks.

      Delete