Monday, February 27, 2017

Eamus Fragum

Which translates to Let's Go Strawberry; or we could always go with Darrylus Strawbuli. Or Eamus Metropolitarum. Or maybe I should shut up and just start this blog post already?

Today is National Strawberry Day and in honor of this, I'm taking a small break from posting on the Binder pages.

Tom at Eamus Catulia (a/k/a 'Til Next Year) and I recently completed a trade. This is my blog post about what Tom sent me. 32 Darryl Strawberry cards! I'll feature a nice round number (25) of them here. I've broken the cards down into mini-series: Mets, Dodgers, Giants, Yankees and After. And I've mashed the images into smaller displays so that the page isn't, too, too, long. This does make everything look a bit weird but I know most of you forgive me.

The Mets Years: aka The Wonder Years
1986 Fleer Instant Offense with HOFer Tim Raines, Card #632
1988 Topps Glossy All-Stars, Card #19
1988 Topps Glossy Send-In, Card #22
1988 Topps Tiffany, Card #710
1989 Fleer League Leaders, Card #37
1989 Score Baseball's 100 Hottest Players, Card #50
1989 Score Scoremasters, Card #42
1990 Fleer League Standouts, Card #3
1990 Leaf, Card #250
1990 Score, Card #200
1991 Fleer Pro-Visions, Card #12
1991 Score 100 Superstars, Card #62









The Dodgers Years: The Weird Years
1991 Classic I, Card #T68
1991 Leaf, Card #444 Checklist 357-448
1993 Duracell Power Players II, Card #21
1993 O-Pee-Chee, Card #375
1993 SP, Card #99
1993 Ultra, Card #406
1994 Pacific Crown Collection, Card #322







The Giants Year: The Blink and you Could Miss It Year
1995 Pacific Prisms, Card #121



I guess there isn't much to say about Strawberry's time with the Giants. This Pacific Prisms card reminds me of Q*Bert which I liked played as a kid.

The Yankees Years: The Dynasty Years
1996 Fleer, Card #198
1996 Score Dugout Collection Series 2, Card #78
1997 Metal Universe, Card #123




The Metal Universe card has an awful lot going on and quite frankly scares me. It's got a kind of a Sarlacc thing going on. And, I can unequivocally state that 1996 Fleer is everything that 1995 Fleer is not. What a STUNNING card is 1996 Fleer. I love the look of it, and the feel, and the very matte quality. Ace!

The After Years: aka The Exploiting Ex-Players and Fans Years
2008 Topps All-Rookie Team 50th Anniversary, Card #AR1
2012 Topps Archives, Card #129




Now I'm calling myself out as a hypocrite because I love the 2012 Topps Archives card features Strawberry in a Mets uniform in the 1980 card design. I'm a hypocrite because I'm really not very keen on seeing modern players in "vintage" card designs. Strawberry might have been selected for the 1980 card design as he was the overall #1 draft pick that year. But, maybe this is something different to seeing a hardly-proven rookie like Andrew Benintendi on a 1987-style card? I mean, in 1987, Benintendi was -7 years old. I also love the 2012 Topps Archives card because I had tried to buy it before in a JustCommons order but was denied as the card wasn't actually in stock. Then I forgot about it, and then Tom came through and sent it to me out of the kindness of his baseball card heart.

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. I keep having to remind myself that Darryl played in the Northern League briefly.. Long enough to get a card made of him as a member of the St Paul Saints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... I'm on the hunt now. I'm hungry like the wolf.

      Delete
  2. You sure can't miss that '95 Prisms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know -- it's pretty rad. The funny thing is, in real life it's silver but the scanner lights did some crazy go-go dance with it and turned it all blue and red and what not.

      Delete
  3. The Fleer Pro Visions, the one with the little atomic thingy hanging out at the end of his bat, is my favorite of the group. Glad you liked the cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I meant to say that this card stuck out as being memorable and awesome. I had been tempted so many times to buy it and am glad I didn't and that you sent it to me!

      Delete
  4. I love the bizarro Giants Pacific Prizms card.

    ReplyDelete