Sunday, March 12, 2017

Happy Birthday Darryl Strawberry

I wasn't going to blog today until I realized today is Darryl Strawberry's birthday. Happy 55th! It's hard to believe he's just 12 years older than me.

To celebrate I'll to a hybrid post to showcase a recent purchase and a recent trade!  I spoil you, I'm sure.

The trade is different than normal. It's not baseball cards: it's beer. Many of you may also read Bob Walk the Plank, and if you don't...then walk the plank!  I sent Matt some beer, and in return, he sent me a varied selection which I am working my way through. It seems only fitting in some way that today I've tried North Carolina's own Foothills Sexual Chocolate.


This is better than I expected. I'm a chocoholic so was nervous about the merging of this sacred bean with a stout but it works, for me, because I'm not overpowered by aroma or chocolate essence. I get more true stout flavor than anything else. Others might have a better palate for distinguishing whatever the heck they put in these things now, but I'm relatively, blissfully ignorant about such things. Plus, it's a rather strong beer for my frame and after about half I am floating three inches above the earth surrounded by unicorns, rainbows, and pretty effervescent bubbles that tickle as the pop. Hence, this post would be considered B.U.I (Blogging Under the Influence).

The card I'd like to show off is one from a recent Sportlots purchase. I'm not sure I knew about Sportlots until Tom from Eamus Catuli! told me about them. So I came them a look and found myself by 16 cards. Shipping costs more than evened out the cheapness of the prices, but over all it was a good transaction and put a DENT in some of my Strawberry needs.

Sober was I at the time, I think, but two of the cards I bought was the 1984 Topps Tiffany Darryl Strawberry and the counterpart 1984 Topps Super. At $10 for the Tiffany card it was pretty expensive but it's really a lovely baseball card and fits in nicely with the other issues (Nestle, O-Pee-Chee, Topps, and Topps Super). The Topps Super was far cheaper. It's so big! (If I could have a dollar for every time I've heard that... I'd be in debt).

Tiffany on top; Super on bottom.



Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your favorite player!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liked Topps Tiffany, but now it seems like every set is tiffany-esque. I kind of miss the pre-1992 cardboard.
    Happy Birthday, Mr. Strawberry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom! It was you and your good cards & that Tiffany in particular that got me on the Tiffany kick. So, thanks for spending my money!

      Delete
  3. I'm getting a better idea of what beers to send your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt- Thanks! I hope my comments here and on untapped aren't taken as being ungrateful or anything. Because I am quite appreciate of the thoughtfulness you put into it.

      Delete
  4. Wow... those 84T Tiffany card backs look awesome! Almost as awesome as the label on that bottle of Sexual Chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I really dig the Tiffany cards. They were wicked expensive in the 1980s as I remember so to get some of the one's I just got for free (from P-Town Tom) or for .18-.50 cents? Yes please!

      Delete
  5. Is it bad that the first thing I thought of when I saw the name of the beer was the horrible Mark Henry gimmick from the Attitude Era?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea who Mark Henry was or Attitude Era and had to look it up. I cannot un-see what I got saw. I thought Eddie Murphy Coming to America.

      Delete