Tuesday, April 11, 2017

1st Anniversary of Baseball Every Night

Happy Anniversary to me.
Happy Anniversary to me!
Happy Anniversary to Baseball Every Night.
Happy Anniversary to me.

I cannot believe it's been 1 year already of blogging... I'd just like to let you know that you'll never, ever get the seconds or minutes back that you've spent reading my posts. But I am very grateful to each and every one of you that has stopped by and read, commented, and even traded with me just the once, or even a couple of times. I'm still relatively uncertain just what the hell I'm doing, but at least I'm having fun. I keep meaning to blog on current baseball things. Players, games I've watched on TV or in person, etc. But for the most part the posts have been about Cardboard.

I'd like to establish goals other than "increase my player personal collections but I think that's a pretty standard, achievable goal. I'd like to spend more time reading more blogs, too, but at the present time other obligations will made pleasure/leisure reading a bit difficult for the next six or eight weeks.

BUT, I'd like to announce a contest. The winner will be the recipient of what I can guarantee will be a one-of-a-kind gift. After the contest closes it might take a few weeks for the gift to be sent but I believe it'll be worth the wait. And I certainly hope that when it is delivered to the lucky sod that they'll do a blog post about it. What it is, otherwise, I will not say. So I hope you like good surprises!

I've never done a contest before, but I've read enough others and participated in a couple, so I think I get the basic way they are done.

So. The contest is to write a blog post -- any content, length, whatever -- about your favorite baseball card by your favorite baseball player. You can answer these questions if you like: When did you first start to like the player? Why? When did you get the card? Have you ever replaced it with one in better condition? Etc. This kind of them. Just want it means to have this card in your mind at various times of the day. The kicker is that market price must be less than $15. So, you write a blog post, please, and paste a link to it in the comments section. Since we're all busy, I'll run the contest through the end of the month, 30 April.  I'll do one of them-there randomizer things and let that determine the winner.

My favorite baseball card of my favorite player will NOT be a surprise to you. 1987 Topps Darryl Strawberry, card number 460.


Growing up a Strawberry fan was exciting in the mid-1980s and this card design has always been among my favorites. I know it hearkens back to 1962, but I was -12 years old in 1962 so don't have any memories of it! I always found the design clean and readable; big fan of the logo in the top corner. It wasn't the best printing quality on the cards -- and that's not even recency bias of how sharp things are now. I'm pretty sure that as a 12-13 year old I would have noticed all the spots on the cards, blurriness, and the like.

Anyway, this card epitomizes for me turning 13 years old and everything that comes along with it. I know I would have pulled this card in a pack as this was a set I built at the time. And I'm sure I had oodles of doubles, too.

Thanks for reading this, considering, and for participating in this contest.

Thanks for stopping by!


PS: Any entrants selecting a card from 1995 Fleer will be automatically disqualified. But please do still post as I'll then forward your entry to a psychiatrist so that you can get the help you need. Any entrants that select a 1995 Fleer card that I deem is intentionally trying to get disqualified (Tony L.) will be re-entered into the contest and will have their name added to the randomizer 18 times.

30 comments:

  1. I now have a post for tonight. The Peter Steinberg 1995 Fleer card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, happy blogging anniversary Peter! Here's to many more.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Tony. I would not have started this without your help and encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Happy one year anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy one year anniversary! This is a great idea for a contest and I will have to give it a lot of thought. I'll try to come up with something of personal significance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. I'll look forward to seeing it!

      Delete
  4. Happy blogiversary! I remember when you just started up... that one year went pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It kind of sneaked up on me. I thought it was in May!

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary! I've really enjoyed your posts the past few months. Your contest sounds like fun. Already have a post scheduled for tomorrow... but I'll try to get something written for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuji! Thank you! I'll look forward to your post. Plenty of time before the end of the month!

      Delete
    2. Here's my post...

      http://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2017/04/playing-favorites.html

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary. Can my favorite card be a beer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job making to the one year mark. I'll get to work on a post for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to figure out what I can write first... (No 1995 Fleer.. I hate that set as well, but will collect what I need from it)

    The dollar amount is no issue.. 90% of my favourites are more obscure players..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary! Here's my post: http://borosny.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-favorite-card-of-favorite-player.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's my post, featuring your 1995 Fleer debut!

    https://offhiatusbaseball.blogspot.com/2017/04/my-favorite-baseball-card-of-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. My post

    https://nabcb.blogspot.ca/2017/04/favourite-card-of-favourite-player.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://bobwalktheplank.blogspot.com/2017/04/my-favorite-baseball-card-of-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the year mark!
    http://bubbasbanginbatchofbaseballbits.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-post-that-was-already-completed.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on a year! I'm in.

    https://thelostcollector.blogspot.com/2017/04/my-favorite-tino-card.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
  15. here's my post:

    http://cardsasiseethem.blogspot.com/2017/04/my-favorite-card-no-contest-but-really.html

    congrats, and thanks for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy one year - here's to many more!

    Count me in for the contest, thanks for the chance:
    http://wrigleyrosterjenga.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-best-of-best-ron-santo.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thought about the 1987 Topps Bo Jackson "Future Stars" card. Instead went with another of my faves featuring Mr. Jackson! Here is my entry for the contest http://20yearsb42000.blogspot.com/2017/04/bionic-bo-if-you-were-sports-fan-back.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy anniversary. I have enjoyed reading your blog and interacting with you on twitter. I'll try to post something this week as an entry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary, Peter. Thanks for the contest and for your good idea which is spurring all these posts around the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha..almost forgot. Here's the link to my post:
      https://alltradebait.blogspot.com/2017/04/notching-two-penguins-with-one-post.html

      Delete