Sunday, June 18, 2017

Fruit, The Break, & Darryl Strawberry 1991 Topps Tiffany

Today was my annual strawberry picking excursion and as a result, or as you might imagine, I thought of Mr Darryl Strawberry.


And it might possibly be that my childhood love of this delicious fruit was responsible for my being such a big fan of the player? I might have very well liked Walter Apple, Mitch Peach, or Amos Cantaloupe, had there been such players...

Also: regarding the break that so many of you participated in (Thank you!)... got most of the cards all packaged up.


Now, for the real part of this post:

Darryl Strawberry's last regular season issue as a member of the New York Mets, that's what this 1990 Topps Tiffany card shows. First all, this was the first time Topps featured the players position on the front of the card since 1986 and I for one missed it even though I didn't realize it at the time.

As usual the Tiffany issue is amaze-balls. And I quite like the 40th anniversary design very much. The player's name is a bit hard to read because of the lines/detailing at the bottom of the card, and represented the first time this kind of feature was on the card; the previous years all seemed to have the players name either framed in some kind of box-like shape or just on the card itself. I went back to 1970 and saw nothing like this for the names.


Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Amaze-balls is right! That's a sweet looking card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful strawberries... and a sweet looking Strawberry!

    ReplyDelete