Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Strawberry & Kruk Cards, Pins, and a Coin

Tony at Off Hiatus sent me a packet in the mail. He told me about it in advance which was good because at my age, surprises can lead to heart issues. I recall a while back he have driven to Tennessee and back for a card show and he mentioned getting me a few Strawberry baseball cards there (is that right, Tony?). Well, they were in there along with two pins and a coin.

So I decided I would write a rhyming poem in couplets: one couplet per item. The year, issue and number are the titles.

First up, the John Kruk:

1988 Topps Coins, #45
Kruk's face in the dish of the coin
Gets me right in the groin



Right.

And so then we'll move on to Darryl Strawberry.


1984 Fun Foods Pin #8

Strawberry on a pin?
Steinberg for the win!!


1988 Topps Mini, Card #63

So cute, so small, so mini.
Like Pesci in My Cousin Vinny.

1988 Fleer, Card #632 (Super Star Sluggers with Will Clark)

Strawman and the Thrill
They're both now over the hill.

1989 Topps Big, Card #139

Commemorates his monster homer
Hit in the Montreal Domer  (uh...)

1992 Fleer The Lumber Co., Card #3

A viscous looking right leg kick;
Bet that ball got out quick.

1992 Fleet Team Leaders, Card #16

The Dodgers fast-tracked his demise
Leaving fans baffled and full of sad sighs.

2013 Topps Archives - 1969 4-in-1 Sticker #69S-BPDS Don Baylor / Dave Parker / Eric Davis / Darryl Strawberry

Parker, Davis, Strawberry & Baylor
One of 'ems got a backside like a trailer.

2013 Topps Archives - 1969 4-in-1 Sticker #69S-SWGJ Darryl Strawberry / Mookie Wilson / Dwight Gooden / Howard Johnson

4 Classic Mets in a '69 design
Recalling glory of '86 -- oh so fine.

In all
It was a great haul.

Thanks Tony! These are all very welcome and appreciated. Fun/funny thing about the Fun Foods is that I had my eye on getting this pin this summer. But you've spared me! Topps Archives really, really went all out on those 2013 card backs, huh!? Thank you so much.

Thanks for stopping by!

PS: Frankly it seemed like a good idea at the time to try writing little poem couplets... I should not have written this point sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment