Monday, July 3, 2017

Next of Kin

So I thought I was being clever by the title of this post but I'm thinking it must have been done before? In baseball cards, we are kindred spirits, and it was very kind of Kin to send me some more stuff.

Kin, of Beans Ball Card Blog and so much more, sent me another package of baseball goodness a few weeks back and I've been delayed in getting trade posts up. Please accept my apologies. The package contained five baseball cards of Darryl Strawberry and John Kruk, and a coin of Mr Strawberry that is spectacular.

The John Kruk's:

1987 Topps:

1988 Classic Blue:


This Classic card is great. I cropped the scan a bit weird, but in actuality it's flawless, as in, without kinks. I love the Ace bandage (or is it tape?) on his left wrist. So 1980s. Classic shit-eating grin, too. I wonder if the tape helped Kruk with is kinesthetics.

And the Darryl Strawberry's:

1987 Topps:

Love me some wood-grained borders. Mmmmmm. Strawberry's poised here to knock the pitched ball out of the park using kinesis.

1987 Topps All-Star:

 1989 Topps All-Star:

1990 Bandai Coin:


This Bandai coin isn't in the Trading Card Database that I can find; maybe that's because it's a coin? But other "coins" are listed, so I'm not even exactly sure what this is or how many other players are featured in the "set". But holy moly is it a terrifically awesome thing. Certainly a kingly addition to my collection!

Thanks, Kin!

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. The Ban Dai coins are tricky. I don't remember if they are just stamped 1990, but the release was delayed, or if they altered the checklist each year and only made certain new coins. Strawberry shows up in the 1992 checklist in TCDB.
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewAllSet.cfm/sid/83859/1992-Ban-Dai-Sport-Star-Collector-Coins?PageIndex=1#5949787

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment and the link which I greatly appreciate. They are tricky as the Trammel & Fielder (the only two with an image on TCDB) both lack the team logo on their caps and the face of the card; but they do have what is I think an MLBPA logo, which the Strawberry is missing on the front (it does appear on the back, though). But then Google Image searching reveals some guys like Strawberry (Mike Scott of the Astros, to name one).

      baseball-cards.com has a different Darryl Strawberry listed, that like the ones of TCDB is missing any team logo information on the obverse. So this gets me thinking there were a couple of separate coin issues?

      Delete
    2. I did a little more digging and found a 1990 set of 50 coins, all PSA graded. I added a checklist to TCDB and my Strawberry coin from Kin so at least now others might be able to find it!

      pks

      Delete
  2. I just wanted to say these are AMAZING. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete