Thursday, August 24, 2017

Vocabulary Words and Off Hiatus Cards

The following four cards were sent to me from Tony L off Off Hiatus Baseball and Collecting the 1980s baseball card blogs fame. He was responding to an Agony Aunt article that I had published about needing more Darryl Strawberry cards. He took a break from listening to Afropop and Belarusian alternative music and found these bottom-fishing cards somehow, somewhere.

I can just picture Tony now, drinking chai and hogging the clicker from his wife, to watch Brewers games, to see a Thames direct deposit a dinger of a ditzy hanging curve (does he have trouble with the curve?) after his seeming decadelong stint out of MLB. Many would love to have been a fly-on-the-wall for Thames' time overseas. He's inked up and ripped, but from biofuel or zen I'm not sure. The next time up the pitcher may throw a kneecapping fastball at him if he showboated around the bases.

Suspicions about Thames' amazing April had a lot of people looking for the smoking gun. Using their touch screen digitizing tablet's, telecommuting geeks free from ever contracting STD's---eating string cheese, taking megavitamins because they never get outside and dreaming of ladies with tramp art wearing string bikinis, getting daily wake-up-calls from their supermoms---poured over each at bat, indexing strikes and balls and swings and fouls and hits as if on life support looking for the answers. They didn't find them but the pitchers sorted it out...

These are some works a thread of tweets last week that were added to the dictionary the year I was born. Tony of course dropped a tweet that this should be a blogger challenge... And you poor souls are the recipients. Hope I did alright.





Thanks Tony!

Thanks for stopping by, too!

8 comments:

  1. I love the 90 Donruss with the blue border. I'm assuming that's from their Opening Day set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tom - TCDB has this in a set called Best of the NL: http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewAllSet.cfm/sid/33337/1990-Donruss-Best-of-the-NL?PageIndex=1#597578... So I'm not sure if that's another name for their Opening Day set? All I know is it was new to me and is totally awesome. Hi! ~pks

      Delete
    2. I guess I should write up the Opening Day set next. Peter is correct about where the 1990 Blue Donruss comes from. In fact, the only year that Donruss did Opening Day was 1987. After that, the set was rebranded as "Best of the NL/AL" or "Best in Baseball."

      Delete
  2. That gold sparkle Strawberry takes me right back to 80's card shows where you got to pick out two "promo" cards from a rack as you entered. They ALL seemed to have that type of border on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The local card show I got to hands out a pack or two with paid admission which always satisfies that itch to open something. It's a sparkly card for sure.

      Delete