Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Michael A Taylor, #ToppsNow

On September 8, 2017, I got a text message from my 12-year-old nephew practically screaming at an inside the park grand slam home run hit by the Washington Nationals centerfielder Michael A. Taylor. I had a sneaking suspicion that the event would be a #ToppsNow moment. (Please note, I find it impossible not to use the # when writing #ToppsNow.) Admittedly it was one of the worst fielding anticipation jobs of all time by the opposing centerfielder who then effectively trotted after the ball. But an inside the park grand slam is just about one of the more exciting plays I could ever want to see in person, and I felt jealousy my sister and her family were at the game watching it in person.


I also knew that I'd be ordering a few of the cards so that I could give them to my nephews and my sister, who is a big Michael A fan.

Her fandom includes having a jersey of his, I believe bought for her by my brother. And when we were at the Nationals spring training facility this March, she was proudly showing off the shirt. The second game we saw, in Jupiter against the Cardinals was quite memorable as we were able to get her jersey signed, and Michael A threw a ball to us at the close of an inning. He was running toward the dugout where we were parked and my nephew was jumping up and down and I was kind of pointing my finger at him. Michael A softly tossed the ball which bounced off my nephews glove and right into my hand. Very memorable.

Michael A signing the jersey
Michael A signing for fans



Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. I always love seeing the personal connections to players. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post serves as a nice little piece of foreshadowing for one of the Nats heroes of Game 4 of the NLDS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that very same thing. Was a bit confused at first, thinking it was going to be about tonight's game, but the time stamp didn't quite fit.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comments, guys. The timing was freaky to me, and then Taylor had another good game in Game 5, though ultimately those northsiders were victorious.

      Delete