Monday, April 3, 2017

Day 7: 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tony's 30 day baseball card challenge is really awesome -- so thanks for creating that. It's given me a chance to step outside of my Darryl Strawberry isolation and consider other cards, other players, other generations. Day 7 of the challenge is "A card you bought in person and the story behind it".

This isn't a fantastic story but it is a fantastic card and it was initially my card for day 6 (a card you spent more than $10 on), but I decided to move it. That's one part of the challenge that is um, er, em, challenging: determining which of the more special cards deserve highlighting.

My card for Day 7 is the 1956 Topps Roberto Clemente. I'm not sure if the card I have is the gray back or white back version, but I remember paying $80 for it when I bought it in the mid-1980s from a baseball card shop on Wilson Boulevard in Arlington, Virginia. No idea what the shop was called.


The card featured here isn't my specific card but one I "borrowed" from a Google search. Anyway, $80 at the time was a lot of money. You know to be honest $80 today is a lot of money. But anyway, I had been "working" as a referee for youth soccer and as a linesman for select soccer and the money that I saved went into the purchase of this card and fed my hobby habit for several years in a row before I ditched card collecting for gas money for the car, dates, pints of ice cream and that new technology: compact discs. However, it remains one of my most favorite cards to this day which is why I selected it.

True story: I had a sad end to my career as a linesman. In mid-junior high (so, circa 1988), I was attending a game as a spectator as some cute girls were on the team I was going to watch. And they were short a linesman so I volunteered to work the game (I think I had a card or something that verified my status and qualifications). At one point, one of the cuties had a corner kick on my side of the field and I jokingly said, "There's no way you're going to get a goal" and she took a playful swing at me, clearly laughing and smiling about it. Such was the innocent-ish nature of our relationship. Well, the head ref clearly had never had a date because he came over, asked the young lady what I said. She told the truth, I confirmed it, and the jerk-whistle gave ME a red card. I didn't even get to finish watching the game as he held up play until I completely left.

I did get a date, though. So, suck-it Mr Uptight Referee man.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Great card from the greatest set ever.

    P.S. a red card for a date w/ a cute girl is the best trade ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! In the end it didn't work out, the girl or the career. But the card. The Clemente card has survived.

      Delete
  2. Wow, talk about your zero tolerance policy. Great card to have in your collection. Wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel lucky. I think I spent about $25 or whatever for my Dwight Gooden rookie. So, sometimes we get lucky (with cards)...

      Delete
  3. I dont know what's better - the fact that you bought a '56 Clemente for $80, or that story about the soccer girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete