Monday, April 17, 2017

Was Darryl Strawberry an Angel? Part the First

Tom from the awesome Angels in Order sent me a slew of Darryl Strawberry cards. This is the first of two batches as there were so many it just seemed to make sense to divide them up.

The answer to the question of course is no, Darryl Strawberry was not an Angel during his baseball career but happily of course he was able to survive and conquer his struggles. He's now a role model in a different way, arguably a better way.

These cards are from the Mets years and includes examples from 1984 to 1989.  I was astounded Tom sent me a 1984 Topps Rookie. In my mind this is still a very valuable card though price guides might tell you different. At least for me there is a high value associated with it for it hearkens back to the period of time when it was really valuable. This card seems quite well centered with sharp-looking corners and good coloring. There are a few of white printing splotches on the card back.






Gotta love these cards. The O-Pee-Chee font is so different and weird and the white stock on the back made me wonder at first if they issued an O-Pee-Chee Tiffany set? I don't think they did. Anyway, it's quite a contrast to the gray stock below.





I never ever had the Darryl Strawberry box top before this year and don't really ever remember seeing it. And now I have it. This has been a good year. I like this shot so much better than the 1988 Topps base card.




Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. You always have to wonder what kind of careers guys like Strawberr and Josh Hamilton would have had if they didn't have their addictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally, and then the guys that just can get and stay healthy, too. Josh Hamilton falls into both categories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you cut out that box bottom? If so, you did a great job! Very clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man! No, it came like that to me from Tom. Pretty ace, huh!

      Delete